- Open Access
The journey continues in Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology
© The Author(s). 2018
- Received: 11 July 2018
- Accepted: 18 July 2018
- Published: 31 July 2018
In 2015, BMC launched Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology (CDE), a peer reviewed, open access academic journal dedicated to improving the care of people affected by diabetes and endocrine disorders. The University of Michigan’s Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology & Diabetes has been a partner in this journal since its inception, and has a longstanding commitment to advancing global interest in diabetes and endocrinology, as both Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY) by Dr. Stefan Fajans  and Primary Aldosteronism by Dr. Jerome Conn  were both first described at Michigan. National and international collaborations including Michigan and multiple other outstanding academic centers have led to important contributions to the fields of GI hormones, Cushing’s syndrome, CNS control of the gonadal axis, obesity and insulin resistance, endocrine oncology, diabetes clinical practice, and more.
In July 2017, CDE reached its first major milestone, becoming indexed in PubMed; we’ve since seen the number of accesses to its published manuscripts steadily increase.
Given Dr. Tan’s impending retirement in July 2018, we are delighted to announce the passing of the torch to two new co-Editors-in-Chief: Drs. Ariel Barkan and Roma Gianchandani. Both are well-published clinician scientists who have served on the CDE Editorial Board from the beginning. Additionally, Dr. Tan will continue on at CDE as Editor Emeritus.
‘This is a unique and exciting time in diabetes and endocrinology with unprecedented number of innovations in medications, technology and big data. We feel fortunate to be co-Editors-in-Chief of an open access platform with the ability to share these discoveries with colleagues around the world and improve patient care. We welcome comments and suggestions about the direction of this journal.”
Going forward, CDE intends to open its pages, inviting colleagues from around the world to share their new knowledge and findings related to diabetes and endocrine diseases via our platform. We encourage submissions from colleagues at national and international diabetes/endocrinology centers as well as other specialties that have innovative studies related to diabetes and endocrinology. Cross-pollination and collaboration of ideas is the direction of medicine today. Together with our global Editorial Board members and a streamlined and well-organized review process, CDE intends to grow and make a significant contribution to the world of diabetes and endocrinology.
All authors contributed equally. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Ethics approval and consent to participate
Consent for publication
All authors are Editors for Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology.
Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
- Tatterstall RB, Fajans SS. A difference between the inheritance of classical juvenile-onset and maturity-onset type diabetes of young people. Diabetes. 1975;24:44–53.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Conn JW. Presidential address part 1, painting background, II, primary Aldosteronism, a new clinical syndrome. J Lab Clin Med. 1955;45:3–17.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hahr AJ, Molitch ME. Management of diabetes mellitus in patients with chronic kidney disease. Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology. 2015;1:2.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Shah VN, Garg SK. Managing diabetes in the digital age. Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology. 2015;1:16.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Tamhane S, Gharib H. Thyroid nodule update diagnosis and management. Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology. 2016;2:17.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Faje A. Hypophysitis: evaluation and management. Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology. 2016;2:15.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar